Thursday, March 7, 2019

Close Encounters Mothership

I found this little reissue kit while at Yay Monsters looking for something else.  Not many Close encounters kits around, and being small I figured it filled a little niche. 

The kit comes in 4 resin parts a length of wire and a length of clear rod - 

Being I want the mother-ship metallic, I primed the ship parts in gloss black.

Devils Tower got a black primer and increasingly lighter drybrushing of gray. The ground area got the same treatment with brown.

I added some green turf to imitate the surround trees and then, I felt to make it a little more accurate, I pulled up some trees and added that runway. I also cut a few tiny pieces a square stock and added them as buildings. 
The kit gives you a length of wire for all the antenna, but I felt that wire too thick. I happened to have some thin styrene rod, so I used that instead. 

 Looking at the ship you see zillions of lights all over it including what looks like city lights on certain parts. So I went into zen mode and painted in zillions of dots in blue and white. The dots are way out of scale but - - whadda ya going to do?  ;)   Thanks for looking.

A closeup


Size comparison

No comments: