Thursday, July 16, 2015

Muroc AD-1

After finishing the New Horizons model, I was looking for something that I could get through quickly. 
Looking through my pile, I came across Muroc's AD-1 model. Muroc was a garage kit Co. that was based out of the gift shop of Edwards Air Force Base. They put out a number of kits before going into hiatus a year or so ago.
The AD-1 is a resin kit of an experimental variable wing aircraft . There were 79 flights between 1979 and 1982  which evaluated the basic pivot-wing concept and gathered information on handling qualities and aerodynamics at various speeds and degrees of pivot.

After completion of the test program, the AD-1 was retired and is now on exhibit in the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos, California.
The model is in approximately 8 parts in a tan resin. The windscreen is vac formed. A nice touch was that a plug of the canopy is included  - I guess in case I muff the original one. 
It all went well until the tiny front wheel flew out of my tweezers  while trying to squeeze out a bit of "Crazy Glue" and was lost to the carpet monster. That Crazy Glue tube really sucks. After all the years you'd think they would create a tube that wouldn't clog after every single use. That's why I prefer to use Loctites super glue. They have an awesome delivery system that never clogs. 

Anyway, for the wheel, I guess I'll have to pick up a 1:144 kit and make use of one of those wheels. This missing wheel was *REALLY* tiny.

Here's what I have so far:



You may notice that there are very few panel lines on the fuselage.  The original was constructed of plastic reinforced with Fiberglass, in a sandwich with the skin separated by a rigid foam core.
Thanks for looking. 

No comments: